Problem with random disks mount sequence

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 20:57:41 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> What I've sometimes done is a fresh install on the new hardware (raid,
>> different disk controller, etc.), and then kept only the contents of
>> /boot perhaps /etc/modprobe.conf, overwriting the rest with a copy of a
>> system from some other machine and adjusting fstab and grub.conf by
>> hand, but it seems like there should be an easier way to make an initrd
>> for new hardware.
>>
> mkinitrd

That's not what I meant.  Without actually installing on new hardware,
how do you know what modules it will need to boot - or even what things
like the software raid modules are named?  Is there something you could
run from a bootable CD that would do the mkinitrd based on what the
machine and new root location needs?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com