F8 yum update problem

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 13 22:37:46 UTC 2007

Michael,

Many thanks to you for correcting my inaccuracies and offering your
experience and insights.  Your work on keeping Cor + Extras repos in a
sane state is greatly appreciated.

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Todd Zullinger comments on different checks. Running repoclosure
> doesn't take "many hours". Fedora Extras repoclosure has been run
> frequently, processing Fedora Core and Fedora Extras, at least prior
> to every push but sometimes inbetween to help the packagers. It
> doesn't take more than 15-20 minutes for the initial and unattended
> run. The parts of it that take much more time are: setting up
> temporary repositories before they could be checked (including
> multilib resolving), taking action when broken deps are found (exclude
> pkgs, run again and hope that no further broken deps are found then,
> possibly add automation to assist with that). For Extras, running the
> modified repoclosure has only been done for Core+Extras plus the
> needsign repositories -- thousands of pkgs, without doing the
> multilib-compose dance, however, which would add to the processing
> time. It takes additional time to complete the update repositories
> (multilib resolving and updating, repoview, ...) when packages are
> pushed.

Aren't the repos now created fresh each time and thus require the
whole multilib compose (which is slow, as far as I have read/heard)?
If not, are there good reasons why it's not done?  I know things have
changed greatly with the introduction of the new build tools.  Do you
happen to know if that's the main reason that repoclosure isn't run
before each push now?

Thanks again.

Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it.
    -- Albert Einstein, Quoted in Saturday Review obituary, 1955