F8 install failure at xinit

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Dec 15 13:48:48 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 00:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I just found a newer bios for my now elderly Biostar M7NCD Pro mobo, and will
>> put that in first & then try it tomorrow when the old fart is a little
>> fresher.  Hopefully that will make an offboard /boot partition possible.
>
> where the /boot partition is located should be of little consequence
> because the bootloader code needs to be on the first drive's mbr and
> grub can locate a /boot partition in any drive at that point.

Because Grub uses the BIOS to access the drive, the boot partition
needs to be on a drive the BIOS can access, and located on the part
of the drive the BIOS can access. This may not be the entire drive,
depending on the BIOS. Originally, BIOS limits were the reason for a
separate /boot partition. There can be other reasons to use one now.

Because Gene has another Linux installation, he may want a second
copy of the boot loader on the new drive, and chainload to it from
the original Grub installation.

Mikkel