Anti-spam filters

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Dec 15 18:10:18 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 01:14:13AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 08:27 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > But the primary emphasis to make SA better is a bayes based learning
> > proceedure. You tell the system about its mistakes and it learns.
>
> Unfortunately, the way most users get to play with that, using the /is/
> and /isn't/ spam buttons on their mail client, is a mystery how it'll do
> the assessing.  I don't think I've seen any declare what information is
> programmed into your anti-spam system when you use them.
>
> I wouldn't want to mark several messages that came through a mailing
> list as being spam, and have it decide the mailing list is probably
> spam, rather than the type of information contained in the message.

I dunno about SA, I don't use it. But I use SpamBayes as a filter invoked
from my .procmailrc and it does a fine job. Not more than once or twice
a week  some spam lands in a non-spam folder, and less often than that
I get a false positive. That's out of probably at least a couple hundred
spams a day and several hundred mails for various mailing lists.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?