Cups problem

david walcroft d_j_w46 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 15 23:48:25 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> david walcroft wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> can't possibly be true...
>>>
>>> # rpm -qa|grep system-config-printer
>>> system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
>>> system-config-printer-libs-0.7.74.4-3.fc8
>>>
>>> try...
>>>
>>> yum clean all
>>> yum install system-config-printer
>>> ----

>>> ----
>>> I presume this in reference to logging into cups via firefox and
>>> connecting to
>>>
>>> http://localhost:631
>>>
>>> root and root's password always work
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> [david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum clean all
>> Cleaning up Everything
>> [david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo yum install system-config-printer
>> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
>> baseurl=ftp://reddwarf:4skin46@premium.planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/
>>
>> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
>> failovermethod=priority
>> http://mirror.optus.net/fedora/core/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
>> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>> Trying other mirror.
>> updates-released                                                 26 kB
>> 00:00
>> http://planetmirror.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
>> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for updates-released: Damaged
>> repomd.xml file
>> Trying other mirror.
>> updates-released          100% |=========================| 2.3 kB    00:00
>> primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 914 kB    00:01
>> YumRepo Warning: not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping -
>> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
>>
>> base                      100% |=========================| 4.3 kB    00:00
>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/repodata/repomd.xml:
>> [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for base: Damaged repomd.xml file
>> Trying other mirror.
>> base                      100% |=========================| 2.3 kB    00:00
>> primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 914 kB    00:01
>> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
>> Finished
>> Setting up Install Process
>> Parsing package install arguments
>> No package system-config-printer available.
>>

> This is a problem.  If you cannot find it, there is something wrong with
> your fedora repo configuration.  In fact, it hasn't been called "base"
> for a while now.  It should be called "fedora".
>
> When I do updates, yum finds the following:
>

>> atrpms                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>> livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
> [...]
My yum download

Installed: pirut.noarch 0:1.3.28-1.fc8
Complete!

[david at reddwarf ~]$ sudo rpm -Uvh
rpm/system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        pirut is needed by system-config-printer-0.7.74.4-3.fc8.i386
[david at reddwarf ~]$

My repo's are in 'local-updates local-extras local-base,
but yum does updates with no problem

[david at reddwarf ~]$ ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
atrpms-bleeding.repo      fedora-extras-devel.repo
jpackage-fedora.repo        local-extra-devel
atrpms.repo               Fedora-install-media.repo
jpackage-generic.repo       local-extras
atrpms-stable.repo        fedora.repo
jpackage.repo               local-updates
atrpms-testing.repo       fedora.repo.rpmnew
kde-redhat.repo             local-updates-testing
city-fan.org.repo         fedora-updates.repo
kde-redhat-stable-all.repo  Macromedia
crontab                   fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew
kde-redhat-stable.repo      mirrors-rpmforge
dag.repo                  fedora-updates-testing.repo
livna-devel.repo            newrpms.repo
dries.repo                fedora-updates-testing.repo.rpmnew
livna-devel.repo.rpmorig    nrpms.repo
fedora-core.repo.rpmnew   fedora.us-extras
livna.repo                  nr.repo
fedora-core.repo.rpmsave  freshrpms.repo
livna.repo.rpmorig          rpmforge.repo
fedora-development.repo   freshrpms.repo.rpmnew
livna.repo.rpmsave          yjl.repo
fedora-devel.repo         gstreamer-deps.repo
livna-testing.repo
fedora-extra-devel.repo   gstreamer.repo                      local-base
fedora-extra.repo         home.repo                           local-devel

[david at reddwarf ~]$ I know it needs a big clean up.

   david