GDM Greeter Hangs, 92% CPU. Cannot bring up FedoraInfinityLogin screen.

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Dec 16 04:14:19 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
>Subject: Re: GDM Greeter Hangs, 92% CPU. Cannot bring up
>FedoraInfinityLogin screen.
>
>On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 19:25 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> At some point, I was able to use the GDM login screen with
>> fedorainfinity-gdm-theme and doing my normal things with
>> fedora for at least two weeks after an install and somewhere
>> along the way after a reboot, GDM failed to bring up the
>> login screen.  Crl-Alt-F1, and logging in a term session,
>> running Top - revealed that the gdmgreeter was running
>> a full solid 92%
>>
>> Ok, darn.
>>
>> I proceeded to use add Enable=True under the [Debug] section
>> in /etc/gdm/custom.conf and noticed on a gdm-restart - the debug
>> information was spewed in /var/log/messages file.  LOTS of debug
>> data there.  It appears that the debug stops spewing at the greeter
>> message handshake - but still running 92% CPU load.
>>
>> Double Darn. Ok, fine.
>>
>> The next step was to cd /usr/share/gdm, and look at the default.conf
>> file.  At line 520:
>>
>> GrahpicalThemes=FedoraInfinity
>> #GraphicalThemes=circles/:happygnome
>>
>> I commented out 'FedoraInfinity' theme and selected
>> the 'happygnome' theme, did a gdm-restart and
>> LO' AND BEHOLD!!
>>
>> The login screen came up!!!
>>
>> So, before jumping the gun with self-pride....  WHAT THE F*** is
>> going ON!?!?!?
>>
>> Something in FedoraInfinity Theme is causing the gdmgreeter to
>> blow up?
>>
>> Is this a bug or what?
>----
>I vaguely recollect that FedoraInfinity gdm greeter used getent passwd
>to generate the list of users...have you been editing /etc/passwd by
>hand? Any problems running 'getent passwd' ?

Yes, I did add entries by hand at first but then removed them and
used adduser command, then went back and cleaned it up by hand.

I ran 'getent passwd' and it database dumped the passwd file,
so it seems.

>That's all I could think of...I use kdm
>
>But considering that gdm-greeter and FedoraInfinity is default
>on a new install, if there was a problem, it would certainly be
>in bugzilla...did you check?

No, I did not but I did use google search and there were complaints
about it and various responses but none that solved the underlying
issue.  That is why I experimented and found out that it was somehow
FedoraInfinity that was causing it - albeit maybe only a symptom.
Dunno.

Can you give me a link to Bugzilla - it's been many years since
I have gone there.  But even if you do, I am not sure what to
do... just post a bug report like I described what I did in this
posting?

Anyway, I thought for SURE it was caused by ISPConfig because it
was there that I experienced all sorts of wierd stuff - I lost
the use of setroubleshoot/sealert (runs high CPU), and then could
not get the GDM login screen - so I basically went through and
started removing all the packages including ISPConfig that I added
one by one so that I knew there was nothing left that I did not
install myself.

At that point - I decided to dive into /etc/gdm and /usr/share/gdm
and so now I *think* it's that newfalngled FedoraInfinity theme
and it means what it means - the gdmgreeter runs to fedora infinity
at high CPU loads! :P

Checked by AVG Free Edition.