Cups problem

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Dec 16 04:28:08 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:

>> > I do have cupsd running as shown previously.
>>
>> I haven't read the whole thread,
>> but I haven't seen any evidence that cupsd is running on your machine.
>>
>> What is the output of "ps aux | grep cups" ?
>>
>> Also what is the result of "telnet localhost 631"?
>> And "telnet 127.0.0.1 631"?
>>
>> > My present problem is getting it to accetp the root password
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean.
>> If cupsd is running then you should be able to browse to localhost:631
>> without giving the superuser password.
>>
>> I strongly suspect your problem is much simpler than you think.

> Timothy...you're not helping
>
> his packages are screwed up from a completely out of control yum.repos.d
> folder
>
> He needs to fix that, and then update his packages to obtain sanity.

What you say may well be true.
But I doubt if it has anything to do with his cups problem.
If cupsd is running then the problem with cups
is likely to be something very simple -
eg perhaps the line "Listen localhost:631" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
has somehow got deleted.

As far as the problem with yum.repos.d is concerned,
I would have recommended running "grep enabled=1 /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo"
and seen what repos were enabled (probably very few),
and disabling all except fedora and fedora-updates.

As far as cups is concerned, I would run "service cups restart"
and then look in /var/log/cups/error_log
to see what was reported there.