Which format should I use to format external disk?

Vivek J. Patankar vivek.patankar at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 07:19:31 UTC 2007

Paul Smith wrote:
> Thanks to both. I have formatted the external disk with ext3, and it
> mounts well. However, when I try to copy something in it, I do not
> have permission for that. How can I overcome this? Where should I
> change the permissions?

As pointed out earlier, creating a folder in the partitions and changing
the permissions can be used, but this is only a workaround. I don't know
how to resolve this problem but I have a pointer that might help find a
resolution.

vfat partitions from external usb devices are mounted with the following
parameters :- rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=500. ext3
partitions are mounted without the shortname & uid parameter. I suspect
it is the missing uid parameter which is causing the problem.

How does one go about changing this behaviour? My best guess would be
mucking around with udev rules.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)