Cups problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 16 11:39:55 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 12:26 +1000, david walcroft wrote:
> Cupsd is running,But I need some advice on getting cups to accept
> 'root:root password'

One opens a web browser, and tries getting the local CUPS website to
show, either by browsing to http://localhost:631 or http://127.0.0.1:631
(they're the same thing).  At that stage, you'll see the CUPS webpages
for managing your printing.  You won't be asked to enter a password
until you try to change configurations.  At the moment, you can look at
what's already set, and print test pages.  When you need to authenticate
to do something that's restricted, CUPS will get your browser to ask you
to enter logon credentials.  Your browser will pop-up a requester,
you'll enter root as the username, and type in root's password as the
password.  If you get it wrong, a 401 unauthorised error page will come
back, if you get it right, it'll do whatever you asked it to do.

That is how it will work on a working system.  If this doesn't work,
you've got to sort out the cause.  It might be worth reading the rpm
manual to work out how to manually install things (such as the
fedora-release package which will give you the standard repos) and how
to forcefully re-install it (look through the man file about replace and
freshen).  If you simply delete the repo files and try to install the
fedora-release package while the RPM database says it's already
installed, nothing will happen.

The other advice you've had seems like the right course of action to
follow:  Move the repo files out of the way, get the fedora-release
package, re-install it.

I can imagine firewalls and SELinux also could be culprits in stopping
CUPS from working.  Not to mention cabling problems between computer and
printer.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.