[F8] how to disable system beep

Zacharie Elcor zelcor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 12:27:41 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Since I upgraded to F8, I'm unable to get that irritating system beep
disabled at startup.
I already tried :
- System > Preferences > Hardware > Sound > System Beep > unchecked "Enable
system beep"
- added "alias pcspkr dummy" to /etc/modprobe.conf (no effect)

The only thing that works is "xset -b" but I have to do it manually in a
terminal each time I log in. It does not work when added to System >
Preferences > Personal > Sessions > Startup Programs
When I add "xset -b" in .xsession, the X session fails with the message
"TERM environment variable not set"

Thanks for any help

--
Zacharie