Cups problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 16 16:49:30 UTC 2007

----
#1, he has trouble editing these files.
#2, at least 47 out of the 54 files didn't belong there
#3, how would you know which fedora.repo/fedora.repo.rpmsaved would
ultimately point to the right repo and which didn't without examining
the contents of each of them...I thought I had a good strategy. Thanks
once again for the unknowledgeable suggestion from the cheap seats.
----

> > As I said, you admitted you didn't follow the thread, gave minimal
> > thought to the issue of his /etc/yum.repos.d condition but feel
> > competent to give opinions.
>
> The title of the thread is "Cups problem".
> I doubt if the OP's cups problem has anything to do with yum.repos.d .
> He has cupsd running, but can't see localhost:631 .
>
> As I said, the solution to the problem is almost certainly very simple,
> and probably obvious on looking at /var/log/cups/error_log .
>
> I'm entitled to my opinion; you are entitled to yours.
> But I wish you and the OP would learn to trim your postings.
> One does not need to know everything that has happened since 1066
> in order to understand that someone has got something wrong in Iraq.
----
The thread started with his doing an 'rpm -e --nodeps cups' and not only
was it not running, it wasn't installed. He finally got it installed
(somehow, apparently not by yum) and who knows which version or whether
the right dependencies but he has confirmed that it is not only
installed but also running and he can indeed open it with firefox but he
can't authenticate as root. Perhaps again, if you had followed the
thread as you admitted you hadn't, you would have realized all of that.

Therefore, your supposition that he can't see localhost:631 is entirely
wrong. He can connect.
Therefore, your entry into this thread was ill-conceived since you
didn't want to do the back reading.

As for trimming, I have judiciously trimmed my replies in almost all
cases.

Craig