Sendmail takes ages to start at bootup

Bob Kinney bc98kinney at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 18:17:27 UTC 2007

--- John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Simon Slater wrote:
> > 	Hi all,
> >
> > 		Just a question to satisfy my curiosity.  When booting sendmail takes
> > a very long time to start.  This happens in FC6 but even longer in F7 on
> > a new laptop.  I'm watching it now and its been 7 minutes so far.  Done!
> > Sendmail finished in 9 minutes and now sm-client ... is ... finished
> > in ... 4 minutes.  The rest boots quite quickly, less than 2 minutes for
> > everything else.  All mail is done through another box.  This is not a
> > problem, allows plenty of time to make some tea and get a slice of cake.
> >

> If you ever get tired of the opportunity to have morning tea and a
> natter while the computer gets started, you might get around to checking
> that networking is starting properly, you have fully functioning DNS or
>   an alternative.
>
> --
>
> Cheers
> John

I have had that problem, too.  It seems that sendmail requires a complete
hostname (with a domain) and sort of sits on its hands for a long time
before timing out and continuing.

So in my case, I named the computer "name.localdomain", and updated the entry
in /etc/hosts for my machine to
127.0.0.1   name.localdomain name localhost.localdomain localhost
where the last 3 items are aliases and thus will work for probably any
program's needs.

--bc