how to reduce large pdf's ?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 16 18:59:19 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 13:14 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>     I have four legal documents in pdf that add up th about 25 mB.
>
>     I've looked at Evince and Xpdf but neither seems to offer a way to
>     change the _file_ size.  Gimp will but then it seems it can't save a
>     pdf?  Licensing perhaps?
>
>     What do I need to do?
----
First off, there is no real 'Acrobat (Professional or Standard) for
Linux...complain to Adobe about that I would suppose.

Generally, when someone wants to reduce the size of a PDF file, it's
because there are bitmaps at a fairly high resolution and there really
isn't much of a way to do that.

If what you want is really the 'text' you could use pdftk to get the
text stream (pdftk isn't packaged in F8 but you could probably install
the one from F7 or rebuild the source rpm from F7)

You might find pdfedit package can do what you want but it doesn't have
Acrobat Professional abilities (yet...but I'm hoping)

Craig