F8 yum updates failing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 20:33:45 UTC 2007

On 16/12/2007, Beartooth Sciurivore <beartooth at swva.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:20:18 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > On 16/12/2007, Beartooth Sciurivore <beartooth at swva.net> wrote:
>
> >>         Actually, my standard routine is to do "yum clean all," then
> >>         "rpm
> >> --rebuilddb," then "updatedb," and only then "yum update" each time.
> >
> > "updatedb"? It has _nothing_ to do with package management at all. It is
> > part of the locate database (package "mlocate").
>
>         Hmm... Some guru told me, more years ago than I can reckon, that
> I ought to do it from time to time.

Yes, occasionally a few people give such false advice and don't
explain in which way running the command would help. It has never
before achieved anything related to RPM's own database or Yum's
operation. And mlocate (and its predecessor slocate) run updatedb
daily (!) as a cron job. Query "rpm --query --list mlocate" to see the
cron file it installs.