Simple Howto

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 17 00:34:01 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 19:05 -0500, Eugene Poole wrote:
> I'm looking for some reasonably simple instructions on gettting Tomcat
> and Apache working together.
>
> Here's whare I'm at now:
>
>    1. Ever since I learned how to do LVM, that's what I use.
>    2. I've always installed the Sun Java at the completion of the
>       standard install, and I've installed it at /usr/java with a 4-GB
>       file system
>    3. I always have installed Tomcat in /usr/tomcat with a 2-GB file system
>    4. I always installed Apache HTTPD in /usr/apache
>    5. I have always let Apache and Tomcat place their docroots on
>       /usr/apache
>    6. I run Oracle 10g on this machine as the standard DBMS.
>
> I want to add Fedora DS, Eclipse, and JBoss to my environment - AFTER I
> get my original question solved.  I'm open to altering where the above
> mentioned pieces of software are located.  I am open to doing a fresh
> install on this machine of Fedora 8.
>
> What are some ideas?
----
both apache and tomcat are part of Fedora packaging and they are
installed in the places where the packagers intended. If you decide to
compile your own packages from source and not use the packages as
provided by the distribution, you are taking it entirely into your own
hands and thereby rendering the reasoned placement moot.

By convention, packages installed from source are placed in /usr/local,
probably for very good reasons (i.e. no chance of tainting other
necessary packages)

Craig