CPU performance problem on old laptop

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 02:22:47 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm investigating slowness on my old laptop (HP ze4400, circa 2004; see
related thread "hdparm shows poor performance on cached reads for PATA
drive" if you're interested).
Apparently the HD cached read speed is not the only thing that suffered
a performance hit.

I ran nbench (http://www.tux.org/~mayer/linux/bmark.html) on the laptop
and got the results that showed that the performance is roughly half of
my newer laptop (Dell E1505) - which was very surprising, since the new
laptop is not THAT much more powerful than the old one (plus, I'm pretty
sure the test didn't use both cpu cores on the new one).

I decided to try nbench in knoppix environment - and to my surprise, it
performed nearly as well as (and in a few tests, better than) the new
laptop!!
I've ran the same test on the new laptop in knoppix - and found that the
results weren't affected all that much.

I've also tried nbench on the old laptop in runlevels 3 and 1: 3 gives
same performance as 5, but 1 gets somewhere in the middle between
knoppix and F8/runlevel 5.

What should I investigate next, to find the cause?
What do the results so far suggest? I'm guessing some part of the
problem is the services that start up in init 3/5 - and perhaps the new
kernel can be partially blamed, as well
Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? What can be done about it?

TIA