a new sendmail question

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 17 08:12:43 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>
>>> I have tried to poke around in google for this before,
>>> but never found a satisfactory answer.
>>>
>>> Say I'm not running my own server, I don't have a domain name,
>>> i.e., a typical home computer.
>>
>> I got mine from DynDNS.  It is free for home use, allows me to
>> "register" my IP address from my ISP (DynDNS publishes the MX records
>> for me), and I can run sendmail locally to both accept incoming emals
>> and send outgoing emails.
>
> However, many places will reject email sent directly from dynamic
> address ranges, so even if port 25 isn't blocked you may have to relay
> through your ISP server or a 3rd party service to keep it from being
> rejected as spam.

relaying via your IAP has advantages for you too, sometimes the intended
recipient's system is down, and so the mail must be retried at intervals
(up to five days I think; that's what sendmail defaults to). I'm very
happy for my IAP provider to handle that.

Oh, if your IP address is prone to changing, there is significant risk
you will get one some spammer's used recently, and so it might be in
some block lists. Relaying via your IAP generally gets round those, and
if your IAP's server gets listed, it's a fair bet they will notice
before you do and will be anxious to get around it.

_I_ don't block mail because it comes from dynamic addresses, but I
often do block entire class C networks when someone in the range tries
to spam me.

I block by firewall rules, you'll time out if I don't like you.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait