Cups problem

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Mon Dec 17 08:44:37 UTC 2007

ma, 2007-12-17 kello 00:18 -0800, Kam Leo kirjoitti:
> On Dec 16, 2007 10:43 PM, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 16, 2007 10:38 PM, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Dec 16, 2007 9:54 PM, david walcroft <d_j_w46 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
<snip>

> > > Redirect the output to a file, e.g. "rpm -qa | grep f7 > f7leftovers".
> > > Do it for fc6 as well. You can use an editor to copy and paste the
> > > unwanted package(s) to a terminal window or learn to use some neat
> >                          ^
> >  rpm -e pasted-unwanted-package-name
> >
> > Just to clarify what I meant.
> >

> > > unix utilities such as sed or awk to operate directly on the file
> > > contents.

> > > That's good but you need to verify that the URL is valid.

> Antti Huhtala brought to my attention an error in the above example.
> It should be "rpm -qa | grep fc7 > f7leftovers".  The Fedora packagers
> are still using fc in the suffix, even for Fedora 8.
>

> Thank you, Antti.

You're welcome, Kam.

> Additionally, I took a quick peak at the F7 and F8 Everything
> repositories. Some fc6 packages are included as part of the F7
> distribution. For F8 a mix of fc6 and fc7 packages are also part of
> the distribution. What a packaging mess!
>
> Well, David. Please excuse my butting in. It seems that the Fedora
> packagers have thrown a spanner into the works. Now, it's nearly
> impossible to find and clean up left over packages using just the
> distro suffix. Unless rpm or any of the package managers shows a
> conflict leave the older package(s) alone.

IMHO, the last sentence is good advice, indeed. For example, when I
upgraded from FC6 to F7 I had to remove only <10 older packages due to
conflicts. These conflicts appeared one or two at a time along with pup
or yum updates within 2-3 months of the upgrade. No big deal...

BR, Antti