yum updates corrupting rpmdb

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Dec 17 15:53:32 UTC 2007

Joe Smith wrote, On 12/15/2007 11:54 PM:
> Craig White wrote:
>>> Is there some "run recovery" that's different than --rebuilddb?
>> ----
>> no but perhaps your /dev/sdb7 has some corruption itself.
>>
>> You might try something like 'shutdown now -Fr' to force an fsck on
>> reboot
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but no, it checks clean. Badblocks comes up
> clean also.

<SNIP>

> So it looks like all these packages should be upgraded, but yum says no.
>
> I remember at least a few of those being in the update list before yum
> went berserk, so something sure looks off-track here.

<SNIP>

> Hmm... out of desperation, I ran another "yum clean all" and now it's
> picking up all those updates. So I wasn't crazy--yum was just fouled up
> again.
>
> Suggestions welcome--let's see if I can actually do the updates this
> time. Two down, five left.
>
> <Joe

try
df -h / /var /usr

I don't remember what all went wrong when it happened to me (been a few
years), but if the system does not have enough space to hold the update rpms
AND apply the updates at the same time, then you can get several things about
doing updates messed up.

On systems with limited disk space, I usually hand yum update a few packages
at a time with `yum clean`s in between each yum update.

at 200MB free in /var/ it looks like you have enough space to download all of
the updates, the question is: are / and /usr similarly provisioned with free
space?

--
Todd Denniston