Simple HowTo

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Dec 17 16:58:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:11 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> Craig:
> I'm not raising up against RPM packaging.  What I am concerned about is the
> 'migration' to a 'C:' drive in Linux.  Let me explain:
>    Since you aren't telling me ahead of time where and how much space Java,
>    Tomcat, or Apache is going to need, I have no choice but to make a very
>    large '/' (root) partition which is the same as a 'C:' drive.  Except
>    with M$, I can tell it to install on the 'D:' or 'E:' drive if I have
>    one.
>    Normally, since I haven't seen much go into /usr/local or /opt in the
>    past (RH8-9, FC1-4), I usually make them around 512 MB in size.
>    But now without any warning or documentation I may need a /usr/local or
>    /opt of maybe 2-GB.
----
typical installs use LVM and you can re-allocate space on the fly if you
decide to create separate partitions for specific reasons (not that
you've listed any reasons for creating them). LVM is very 'un-Windows'
like.

How in the world could I or anyone else on this list tell you how much
space Apache/Tomcat/Java are going to need. Apache/Java/Tomcat by
themselves, probably on 500 Megabytes but the rest of your storage needs
would be determined by the amount of data you're going to be storing
there and no one here would have a clue what you're going to need for
that...that happens to be your job.

Allow me to recap...

- you're going to be compiling your own versions of apache and tomcat
and not using the distribution version for no discernible reason.

- you're worrying about space allocations for your various partitions
without giving any reasons for separate partitions and without
considering that the very nature of LVM is to provide flexible space
allocation.

- you're expecting us to tell you how much space your going to need
without anyone knowing how much data you are going to have.

- you're not wanting to use traditional locations for compiled from
source software for no discernible reason.

Must be a software developer...certainly not a system administrator.

Craig