Simple HowTo

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:41:57 UTC 2007

> I hope I am not off-topic, but one thing that sorta bothers
> me is that many, if not *most* applications are being placed
> in /usr/share as if a catchall place?  It seems to contain more
> than 50% of /usr space alone?
>
> It seems to me, that many applications such as 'games' for example,
> ought to be in it's own common directory such as /usr/(local/)games
> so that these (large) applications can be easily symlinked/mounted
> elsewhere if need be, otherwise it can be bothersome to move, mount,
> or symlink these otherwise potentially large applications?
>
> I wonder what the point is of having /usr/games, /usr/local if
> no one seems to use these otherwise mostly empty directories?
>
> I seem to think it might be an added bonus giving the installer
> the choice as to where to install their application(s)?
>
> Just wondering.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 12/16/2007 11:36 AM

This might answer the /usr/share question:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.11.html

"Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need to
be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or /usr/local/share, if
installed locally). It is recommended that a subdirectory be used in
/usr/share for this purpose.

Game data stored in /usr/share/games must be purely static data. Any
modifiable files, such as score files, game play logs, and so forth, should
be placed in /var/games."
~af