Seahorse vs Evolution ?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Mon Dec 17 20:58:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 13:29 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I apologize for starting a second thread on this issue, but I have done
> some exploring, and some fixing since the original post "Subject: End of
> F8 install -- frustration !"
>
> I have checked other seldom used 'users' that I have created for my
> system.  They are not prompted with "Enter password for default keyring
> to unlock The application 'evolution' (/usr/bin/evolution) wants access
> to the default keyring, but it is locked"
>
> Somehow I have denied permission for Evolution to go directly to my ISP
> and fetch new mail at login to my main user without first giving a
> keyring password .  I can't figure out what I did -- or how to undo it.
> I have spent more than 8 hours over the last two days learning more
> about PAM, key rings and Seahorse than I ever wanted.

If you save passwords to your mailboxes, etc., in Evo, they are stored
on your keyring.  To get access to them, you must authenticate to your
keyring.  There's no getting around that.  (NetworkManager stores your
wireless keys on your keyring too, so you have to authenticate to log
onto a wireless network as well.  But you should only need to do it once
per login.)

There is a package gnome-keyring-pam that is supposed to automatically
unlock your keyring if the keyring and login passwords are the same, but
it doesn't work yet.  Check Bugzilla for that component.

gnome-keyring-pam replaced pam-keyring, which used to work in F7 (if
properly set up), but I haven't tried to get it working in F8.

> A quick prompt, or suggestion, or solution would be really appreciated.

HTH.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences