Japanese??

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Mon Dec 17 21:25:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 20:42 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote
> So I'm wondering : what would I have had to do? Not
> uninstall Japanese from the never to be sufficiently accursed
> weeds, aka language packs, that sprout ever anew in Firefox.
> Obviously.

In theory it should be as simple as installing the "Japanese Support"
group via Yum/Pirut and then enabling that as the user's language choice
in GNOME.

> Can I even do anything without having to get a special keyboard?
> (The present guest room computer is a laptop -- a T30 Thinkpad -- btw.)

Part of the "Japanese Support" group is a package called SCIM, which is
an input method that you can select with the im-chooser tool. Among
other things, it allows you to type in Romaji, which is transliterated
or "romanized" text, which it then will convert into various kana or
kanji as applicable. (It even does cool things like word prediction
based on previous entries, etc. Quite nifty).

For example, if you enabled it and typed "wa", it would allow you to
replace it with either the hiragana "わ" or katakana "ワ" characters, or
various kanji also read as "wa." If you continued to type "tashi", then
it would present you the option of the hiragana "わたし" and perhaps
automatically select the kanji replacement, "私" (romaji: "watashi";
English: a very polite and formal "I" or "me").

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's really quite nifty. :]

(If you'd like you can also set it to a direct-entry keyboard layout,
where each letter then becomes various kana, etc...I find that a bit
more difficult to master, though.)

I've just started taking Japanese classes, so I'm still quite new to it
as well. Hope that helps, or at least points you in the right
direction. :)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479