Cups problem

david walcroft d_j_w46 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 17 22:35:31 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 00:18 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:

>>>                          ^
>>>  rpm -e pasted-unwanted-package-name
>>>
>>> Just to clarify what I meant.

>> Antti Huhtala brought to my attention an error in the above example.
>> It should be "rpm -qa | grep fc7 > f7leftovers".  The Fedora packagers
>> are still using fc in the suffix, even for Fedora 8.
>>

>> Thank you, Antti.
>>
>> Additionally, I took a quick peak at the F7 and F8 Everything
>> repositories. Some fc6 packages are included as part of the F7
>> distribution. For F8 a mix of fc6 and fc7 packages are also part of
>> the distribution. What a packaging mess!
>>
>> Well, David. Please excuse my butting in. It seems that the Fedora
>> packagers have thrown a spanner into the works. Now, it's nearly
>> impossible to find and clean up left over packages using just the
>> distro suffix. Unless rpm or any of the package managers shows a
>> conflict leave the older package(s) alone.
>>
> ----
> You have given completely worthless and a lack of informed advice.
>
> grep'ing rpm packages for earlier designations does not, repeat does not
> necessarily indicate that the package isn't intended to be installed on
> the current $releasever.
>
> There is however a method now for finding obsolete packages...
>
> yum -y install yum-utils
>
> package-cleanup --orphans
>
> This information is indeed documented on the Fedora Project Wiki (kudos
> to them for making this valuable info available)...
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>
> People who want to help others should be familiar with this page
>
> Craig

Yum-utils was already installed, package-cleanup --orphans cleaned out
some 80 files
Changed SElinux to permissive and believe or not but I can print anything
and my sound is back after losing it during the last
upgrade,SElinux-enforcing
seems to be very restrictive.
You said something earlier about reinstalling four files that where
dependencies.

   Thanks for all your help Craig    david