Mailing list software

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Dec 18 01:47:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 19:16 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Howdy All -
>
> A friend of mine is looking to do a monthly or so e-mail blast to her
> customer base, about 800,000 customers.  No, it is not spam.
>
> I am trying to figure out the best mailing list software for this.  Of
> course, mailman comes to mind, but it's really meant more for group
> interaction, not a marketing type of list.

I'm on a couple lists that use mailman for that purpose.
I don't know they do 800K customers, but they only send out something
every 4 or 5 months, and are read only.

I would definitely make sure that whatever you use has the option to do
several smaller blasts. With 800K customers, there are bound to be a
several ISPs with a few thousand recipients, and even more with
hundreds. That many identical mailing coming in at once very likely may
get her blacklisted at those ISPs.