Mailing list software

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 05:07:23 UTC 2007

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Howdy All -
>
> A friend of mine is looking to do a monthly or so e-mail blast to her
> customer base, about 800,000 customers.  No, it is not spam.
>
> I am trying to figure out the best mailing list software for this.  Of
> course, mailman comes to mind, but it's really meant more for group
> interaction, not a marketing type of list.
>
> I need something that is going to be smart enough to automatically deal
> with unsubscribing dead accounts and the like, and preferably has a
> customizable web UI for account management.

Mailman has the advantage of being included in the distribution and has
a web interface for unsubscribing and adjusting options that will be
familiar to a lot of people.  You can control who can post or set a list
to moderated, and can set a reply-to to keep replies from coming back to
the list.  However, I don't think you'll you'll like managing 800,000
addresses in its web interface.

> Anyone use any cool mailing list for Linux that meets these needs?

I haven't used it but http://www.sympa.org/ sounds like it might be good
if you already manage the addresses in a database.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com