X windows & Terminal

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 18 06:34:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 10:50 +0600, Angel Apocalyptic wrote:
> How can I exit X windows,and start my pc from terminal?I have to exit
> X windows completely.

Pressing CTRL ALT F1 will switch over from a graphical X console to a
text-only console, likewise for using the F2 to F6 keys.  F7 will get
you back to the graphical console (CTRL ALT F7).  X is still running in
the background, however.

To stop X you could issue a "telinit 3" command, and switch down to run
level 3.  You'll need to be the root user to issue that command.  You
can get back to run level 5 by using "telinit 5".  But if you just want
to restart X without changing levels, e.g. to test configuration changes
you've just made, you can type "startx".

> before I tried to edited /etc/inittab file.And set the runlevel 3 for
> starting my  machine on terminal.But it did not work.

That will set the mode the computer boots up in, it won't change the
mode it's currently working in.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.