[F8] Clamav-server 0.91.2-3 - what's with the changes?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Dec 18 15:26:36 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Seems that this version is missing some files:
>>
>> /etc/clamd.conf
>> /etc/init.d/clamd
>
>You have to install the clamav-server-sysv subpackage.
>
>The maintainer is a minimalist who doesn't have the standard initscripts
>installed on his system and thus decided to have everyone using the default
>Fedora setup suffer and have to install a pointless separate subpackage. :-(
>
>        Kevin Kofler

This comes directly from standard Fedora repository:

All version: 091.2-3.fc8

clamav.i386
clamav-data.i386
clamav-filesystem.i386
clamav-lib.i386
clamav-milter.i386
clamav-milter-sysv.i386
clamav-server.i386
clamav-server-sysv.i386
clamav-update.i386

So, Kevin, I did install the -sysv package as I did not have a choice.
It is a required dependency for milter.  I looked at the /etc/init.d/clamd-wrapper
script and it shows a test code that says:

test "$CLAMD_SERVICE" || {
    echo $"*** $0 can not be called in this way"
    echo $"*** Please see /usr/share/doc/clamav-server-*/README how"
    echo $"*** the clamav-server can be configured"
    exit 6
}

Reading the README file shows that setup is *very* different from before
as you can now create "instances" of clamd.  Oh boy, oh my.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.