f8 boots!

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Dec 18 17:14:20 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Seriously, whatever script processes the fstab and assembles the system, needs
> a new keyword, one that can be added below the must have parts of the system
> and that tells this script to report on screen but otherwise ignore such typu
> foolishness in non-vital, 100% optional portions of the system. Skipping the
> erroneous mount operation is much preferable in such a case.

The problem is that there in not a script that processes /etc/fstab,
and mounts each entry. What is done instead is to let mount do it
itself using the -a option. Network mounts are excluded the first
time it is run. I believe the script that handles this is in initrd now.

mount -a [-t type] [-O optlist]
   (usually given in a bootscript) causes all file systems mentioned
   in fstab (of the proper type and/or having or not having the
   proper options) to be mounted as indicated, except for those
   whose line contains the noauto keyword. Adding the -F option will
   make mount fork, so that the filesystems are mounted
   simultaneously.

Mikkel