Sound problems after upgrading

Niels Weber nathelbiya at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:44:25 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have troubles with sound after upgrading from F7 to F8 (using the
DVD, running 64 Bit). On a second machine, where I did a new install,
sound runs fine, so did sound on my main machine while running F7.

I tried to match the pusleaudio packages of the upgraded machine to
the freshly installed one but that resulted in almost no sound working
anymore. So I removed all packages containing pulseaudio in their
name. That resulted in a situation where sound works in some
applications and not in others.

Applications where sound works:
Rhythmbox
MPlayer
Xine
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Unreal Tournament 2004
nexuiz-glx

Sound doesn't work in:
Battle for Wesnoth
Neverwinter Nights
nexuiz-sdl

That looks to me as if sound doesn't work when the systems SDL library is used.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Thanks,
   Niels