Simple HowTo

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Dec 18 21:56:51 UTC 2007

Gene Poole wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I started this thread so let me see if I can clarify my point of view.
>
> Initially I asked if there was a simple HowTo for Apache HTTPD, Apache
> Tomcat, Sun Java, and mod_jk.  I did this because I found on the internet
> at least 6 different ways to make this work, but all were incomplete in one
> way or another. Also, I could not find a way to combine them. The response
> was for me to use the RPM packages provided by Fedora with the exception of
> the Sun Java where I was on my own. And why not use IcedTea?  Why not use
> the full complete Java? I had not gotten to my need for Eclipse and the
> fact I run Oracle 10G on this machine.
----
the concept of IcedTea is to have the free-java implementation aka gcj
peacefully co-exist with another java install (i.e. sun's java). This is
because the gcj implementation is used as pre-requisite for other software.
----

> Here are my concerns about that:
>       I use LVM, but I don't believe that is normal.  I think that when a
>       install is done, the default configuration is used (i.e. /boot; /;
>       /home; and swap) regardless of the size of the hard drive(s).
>       The latest releases (Fedora 7 and 8) have moved away from the older
>       IDE constructs (up to 15 partitions) to a more SCSI construct (up to
>       6(?) partitions). So all older definitions where we learned that one
>       of the better installations defined specific file systems and mount
>       points now must move to a more M$ C: drive mentality.  If I want to
>       avoid this I must use LVM so that I can define file systems for the
>       entire tree.
----
- you don't have to use LVM...the choice is made at install.

- hard drive constructs, as you call them are no different in F7/F8 than
earlier versions of Fedora/RHEL with 'SCSI' hard drives...you can still
have 16 partitions, the issue is that  if you use fdisk to create them,
there can only be 4 primary partitions and typically the 4th primary
partition is made as an extended partition which is then partitioned
within. I'm surprised given all of your history and research you hadn't
grasped that yet.

- none of this has any connection whatsoever to an 'M$ C: drive
mentality'. In fact, the one with the 'M$ C: drive mentality' is you
because you can't seemingly grasp all of the versatility allowed to you
with the 'virtual' features of LVM. You can have as many LVM 'volumes'
as you wish and declare the mount points where you wish. You can have
/home as a separate LVM volume if you wish...that's about as anti 'M$ C:
drive mentality' as it could possibly get.
----
>       I have no doubt that the RPMs contain all that are needed, except I
>       can no longer control where it goes.  You don't tell me where it's
>       going to go ahead of time so I can make a file system large enough
>       and named correctly (more C: drive mentality).  And I need to know
>       this ahead of time so I can do the correct thing while in Disk Druid.
>       In the FHS, where does it say that Apache HTTPD, Apache Tomcat,
>       mod_jk, and the Sun Java should go?
----
You could download the source rpms and edit the 'spec' files to control
where the stuff gets installed but of course, that would take
knowledge...research
----
> Other Points:
>       /opt and /usr/local are going to be defined regardless if you have
>       built a separate file system for them or not.  They are a part of the
>       standard file hierarchy.
----
if they didn't exist, how would you mount a filesystem there?

can you demonstrate cluelessness any more elegantly?
----
>       Yum doesn't know nor should it know about software installed outside
>       of it's environment.  One great piece of software is jedit and there
>       is no RPM for it - are you saying I shouldn't use it? There are a lot
>       of good packages out there that aren't packaged in RPM format (jedit
>       is a java program). The defacto standard for packages is .tar.gz
>       I've used yum when it was only on the Yellowdog distro (yum =
>       yellowdog update manager).  I started in Linux when there was no RPM.
----
but Sun does distribute jre/jdk in rpm format. I don't have a clue how
they distribute jedit...in a jar file perhaps?
----

> Resources:
>    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.11.html
----
why not read the whole thing instead of just /usr/share

There's a lot of information there.

Craig