F8 install failure again & again

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Dec 19 14:04:19 UTC 2007

Felix Miata wrote, On 12/18/2007 10:11 PM:
> On 2007/12/18 18:27 (GMT-0800) Tod Merley apparently typed:
>
>> On Dec 18, 2007 12:53 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
>
>>> On 2007/12/18 01:55 (GMT-0500) Felix Miata apparently typed:

<SNIP>
>> 3. In your CMOS utility look for parameters which relate to how the
>> disk is "talked" to.  Change it from what is probably "auto" to your
>> best guess made by reading your disk service manual.  If there are
>> delay parameters which appear to relate to disk communication you
>> might consider changing them as well.
>
> I learned long ago that setting the BIOS to use anything other than AUTO was
> more likely to do more harm than good, so I NEVER do it any more.
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/partitioningindex.html#BIOSHDREC

except sometimes you actually need to configure programs (like bios) do do
things in an expected way.

The problem you described reminded me of a problem one of the guys had while
attempting to install F8T3, IIRC it was solved by either forcing AHCI on or
off in bios, I don't remember which and he is not here right now.

however reading
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/anacdump-gx150-f8-live1.txt
I noticed fairly early on...

"Local variables in innermost frame:
deviceFile: /dev/sda
str: The drive /dev/sda has more than 15 partitions on it.  The SCSI subsystem
in the Linux kernel does not allow for more than 15 partitions at this time.
You will not be able to make changes to the partitioning of this disk or use
any partitions beyond /dev/sda15 in Fedora
"

So I am assuming your F7 install only used partitions numbered less than 15??
It looks like the Anaconda in F8 is less forgiving (capable of dealing with
errors) about too many partitions or you asked it to install to a partition
numbered > 15?

--
Todd Denniston