3D Support for NVIDIA

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Dec 19 17:54:36 UTC 2007

Dean S. Messing wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
> : Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> : > Dean S. Messing writes:
> : >

> : This was when I found out that the xorg probing wasn't working properly
> : on my computer and I had to manually enter all my hardware settings.  It
> : was nothing to find that all my manually entered settings were gone
> : after an install/upgrade.
>
> Ah!  Maybe that's why I've never experienced a problem.  I always
> configure xorg.conf "by hand" with a text editor after installation.
> (I realise that this isn't for everyone.)

I had the various drivers overwrite/erase the hand created xorg.conf
file, at least while testing.

> In my experience, ATI problems are (have been?) _far_ worse than
> nVidia's.  That may have changed recently with ATI's acquisition by
> AMD. I don't know.

I originally had an ATI video card in the new computer.  Ordered after
seeing that ATI had Linux drivers on their site.  After almost two
months of fighting I went and purchased a nvidia card.  Less than 30
minutes from paying till I was running in full 3D richness.

Have a friend that has had issues with ATI in Windows XP.  Moved to
nvidia as well.

> Some people believe that they shd. get paid for the hard design work
> they do.  There's a great deal more (as I'm sure you know) to IP then
> "getting rich".  It's also about self protection from other rapacious
> companies, about portfolio negotiation, about protection from your
> ideas being stolen, and lots of other stuff.

I have to agree with getting paid but there are many people that create
good products only to get ripped off by those that make millions in
bonus payments.

--
Robin Laing