Squid wont start after update?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Dec 19 22:28:54 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 15:58 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Uh, it should be, but just to be safe, as root:
>>>
>>> 	chmod 755 /var/spool/squid		[Did that]
>>>
>>> And can you include the line that starts with "cache_dir" from your
>>> /etc/squid/squid.conf file?
>>>
>> All I see with cache_dir are commented?
>>
>> less  /etc/squid/squid.conf | grep cache_dir
>>
>> #       Applies to any cache_dir lines listed below this.
>> #  TAG: cache_dir
>> #       cache_dir Type Directory-Name Fs-specific-data [options]
>> #       You can specify multiple cache_dir lines to spread the
>> #       cache_dir ufs Directory-Name Mbytes L1 L2 [options]
>> #       cache_dir aufs Directory-Name Mbytes L1 L2 [options]
>> #       cache_dir diskd Directory-Name Mbytes L1 L2 [options] [Q1=n] [Q2=n]
>> #       block-size=n defines the "block size" for COSS cache_dir's.
>> #       leads to a maximum cache_dir size of 512<<24, or 8 GB.  Note
>> #       has written some objects to the cache_dir.
>> #       2 full stripes for object hits. (ie a COSS cache_dir will reject
>> #       read-only, no new objects should be stored to this cache_dir
>> #       the cache_dir lines with the smallest max-size value first and the
>> # cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 100 16 256   <---- UNCOMMENT THIS LINE
>> #       'cache_dir' directory, but you may specify an alternate
>> #       a representation of the cache_dir name where each / is replaced
>> #       with '.'. This is needed to allow adding/removing cache_dir
>> #       If have more than one 'cache_dir', and %s is not used in the name
>> #       corresponds to the order of the 'cache_dir' lines in this
>> #       configuration file.  If you change the order of the 'cache_dir'
>> #       the correct 'cache_dir' entry (unless you manually rename
>> #       better to keep these index files in each 'cache_dir' directory.
>>

> Oh, yikes!  Ok, uncomment the line I marked above and retry the
> "squid -z" or "service squid restart".
>
> Note that the line above will result in a 100MB cache, so make sure
> the /var filesystem has at least 120MB free.  Check free space via
> the "df -h /var" command.  On my system:
>
> 	[root at prophead ~]# df -h /var
> 	Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> 	/dev/hda5             4.0G  653M  3.1G  18% /var
>
> so I have 3.1G free.
Ok, I fixed the line in squid.conf and then:
squid -z
FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
'visible_hostname'

Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE16): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.005 seconds = 0.003 user + 0.002 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 0
Aborted

I think the configuration file is hopelessly messed up and it's
comprised of a "zillion" lines!

I think the best thing to do is yum remove squid and hope that it gets
everything, then reinstall squid.

I didn't have this much trouble initially on the two computers I
installed it in.

I thank you for your help.

Bob Goodwin