/var/log/messages

John Cornelius jc at lht.com
Wed Dec 19 23:49:43 UTC 2007

Okay, I'll bite!

How do the messages get into the messages file in the first place?

There should be a file /var/run/syslogd.pid which contains the pid of
the syslog daemon. If it exists then you're running syslog from the
/etc/init.d/syslog script. If it doesn't exist you might check to see if
it's running at all with ps -fe | grep syslog .

I suggest that you do a man syslogd to find out where the syslog.conf
file is.

FWIW, almost all messages going to /var/log/* are handled by the syslog
facility so if there's no configuration file I have no idea what happens.

--jc