Visual Studio Alternatives

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 20 00:11:44 UTC 2007

Mike Morraye wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I'm following a course vb.NET
> Therefor I have a Windows XP & Visual Studio 2005.
> As I don't like the windows exp. so far, I started to wonder if there wasn't
> a backdoor to program vb.net on my FC8.
> I know how to do it in a virtual machine, but that just ain't the thing I
> want.
> Would it be possible to put it in Wine or something?
> Are there current projects running to put this up?

You could have a look around the mono stuff; it's a reimplementation of
.NET, but as always with someone's clone, it can't be up2date. It's in
Fedora, but I'll leave it to you to find;-) Whether it's satisfactory
depends on what you need.

However, if you're trying to do things _to_ Windows, I suggest gritting
your teeth and keeping at it. Following a course designed for Windows on
^Windows and tracking the differences and keeping pace with the others
might be a challenge.

--

Cheers
John