Docs for gnome

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 20 04:42:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 14:53 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 14:15 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > Obviously Microsoft is the authoritative source for all information on
> > both smb and cifs protocols
>
> Yet the story goes that they had to refer to writings by the Samba team
> when it came to documenting some of their own SMB protocols...  ;-)
>
> I don't know if that's really true, but it sounds amusing.
----
I am a member of the samba team...I don't know that story
<http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SambaWiki:About>
----

> To the original poster, I would have thought http://www.samba.org/ to be
> the place to start looking.  If the included documentation wasn't
> enough.
----
I'm not certain that the samba documentation has all that much info on
smb protocol. It does cover things that are peripheral to the smb
protocol such as authentication methods but not a dissection of the
protocol itself.

As I said, the smb protocol is for all purposes a dead protocol anyway
because it has been replaced by cifs.

Which is why I asked the OP to clarify what information it was that he
was seeking and that the definitive answers will always come from
Microsoft.

Craig