Simple HowTo

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 20 05:50:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 23:53 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:27 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:

> > > Me too. /opt appears to be not used at all. Packages like OO used to
> > > live there, and /usr/bin is REALLY crowded nowadays since the use
> > > of /usr/X11/bin got canceled. I'm wondering too. Ric
> > ----
> > /opt is where vendor packages are normally installed, generally, but not
> > always commercial packages, i.e. BrightStor ArcServe will install there,
> > also, Dell's OMSA and the rpms you download from OpenOffice.org
> >
> > The growth of the number of files in /usr/bin is a testimony to the vast
> > array of software available for Fedora.
>
> I agree, there's a ton of stuff and I'm not complaining about that,
> nosiree. My comment is that the one directory looks just a little bit
> full. At least with /usr/X11R6/bin it reduced the amount of traffic
> in /usr/bin. If only there was a way to divvy up /usr/bin into standard
> subsets, that everyone could agree on, such
> as /usr/multimedia/bin, /usr/games/bin and so forth. It's a thought. Nor
> would it be a huge deal to do. Ric
----
ignoring of course, the whole point of the FHS itself which sadly,
doesn't exist to satisfy Ric Moore's or Gene Poole's sense of the way
things should be but rather be an entirely predictable point to put
"Binaries that are not needed in single-user mode"

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.5.html

as for /usr/X11R6 et al...

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.4.html

and while we're at it... /opt

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.12.html

and finally, the explanation for the OP who doesn't want to live
in /usr/local...

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.9.html

The one thing that appears obvious to me is that the big picture was
created by people with insights into the OS far greater than I possess
so I am more than willing to go along with their plan.

Craig