cnn flash video

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:23:06 UTC 2007

Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> to, 2007-12-20 kello 06:27 -0500, David Boles kirjoitti:
>
> <snip>
> Unnecessarily strong words here, don't you think? I didn't mention it
> but yesterday I tried CNN on IE7/WindowsXP (this same dual-boot box) and
> it worked all right once I downloaded the necessary plugin. No
> "UNSUPPORTED PLATFORM ERROR" then.
> Good for you.
> No doubt. It's a clean install of F8 with (AFAIK) the latest flash
> plugin. Instead of criticizing me for reporting what I found (and
> thought), why don't you tell me and the OP what your system has to make
> it work with CNN?
>
> BR, Antti

- ----------------------------------------

You said that you are using Fedora 8 x_64. Does that mean that you are
also using the x_64 version of Firefox?

Read this section:  10.3.1. Enabling Flash Plugin

Instructions for Flash in 64-bit Firefox

http://tinyurl.com/369oa5
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Desktop.html#sn-KDE-Desktop

- ----------------------------------------

As for the java applet on the bank site? Icedtea, the java included with
Fedora, is not yet as good as it will be and sometimes does not work.
For that reason I use the Java that Sun provides because there are
several places where it does not work for me.

- ----------------------------------------

Now all of this above will *not* run the Live Video feeds. That requires
another plugin and there is no version for Linux of it.

- ----------------------------------------

As for "criticizing me"? That was because you immediately jumped to the
conclusion that both CNN and the bank site were deliberately excluding
you, your system, and your choice of Linux as your OS. Which is
obviously not true. FUD. Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear%2C_uncertainty_and_doubt

paranoia - a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward
excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/paranoia

I am sorry about the "criticizing me". An over reaction perhaps.
- --

  David