arp who-has? tell?

John Cornelius jc at lht.com
Thu Dec 20 18:06:21 UTC 2007

-----Snip-----

>>Finally, all interfaces will generate ARP requests because when you try to make a connection to an IP address on the same
>>subnet you don't know what its physical address is so your computer issues an ARP request of the form "who has
>>nn.nn.nn.nn". Whoever has that address responds with its physical address and then you can make your connection. All
>>ethernet communications is ultimately done between physical addresses which may explain why we go to all of this trouble.
>>

>>--jc
>>

>Some info:
>
>$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig
>
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:D8:CF:C4:8C
>          inet addr:98.203.6.135  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:582667 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:178013 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:368010009 (350.9 MiB)  TX bytes:17358499 (16.5 MiB)
>          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x2000

Okay, your ISP provides you with a subnet containing 8 Class C networks
(2048 possible addresses) so the DHCP server has a lot of house keeping
to do.

>lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>          RX packets:910 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:910 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>          RX bytes:2490948 (2.3 MiB)  TX bytes:2490948 (2.3 MiB)
>
>--
>
>As far as my default gateway I'm guessing 93.203.0.1

No need to guess, try netstat -r to get a list of routes including the
default route. Not that it matters.

>$ cat etc hosts:
>
># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
># that require network functionality will fail.
>127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost	f8
>::1	localhost.localdomain	localhost	f8

If you want to ignore all of those ARP packets run tcpdump as tcpdump
not arp and you'll see all of the actual Internet traffic to and from
your neighbors' homes.

>--
>
>Sorry I'm new at this.

Aren't we all?

>Thanks for the reply. I figured it somehow is programmed into the
>cable modem and is somehow initiated by Comcast. I initially ignored
>it, but as a start in my learning about routers and networking I
>started here.  I basically see how it works now. My next project is to
>get a static ip address from DynDNS www.dyndns.com/ and then study up
>on routers. Any sugestions on hardware and software would be
>appreciated. I'd like to eventually experiment with a wireless sff
>motherboard diy router project.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>-macroron-

--jc