arp who-has? tell?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Dec 20 21:44:28 UTC 2007

ron wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I figured it somehow is programmed into the
> cable modem and is somehow initiated by Comcast. I initially ignored
> it, but as a start in my learning about routers and networking I
> started here.  I basically see how it works now. My next project is to
> get a static ip address from DynDNS www.dyndns.com/ and then study up

dyndns does not give you an IP address, that's done by your Internet
Access Provider who lends you one of his. dyndns does offer free
subdomains of its own domains - mine is one - and a service to cope with
dynamic IP.

> on routers. Any sugestions on hardware and software would be
> appreciated. I'd like to eventually experiment with a wireless sff
> motherboard diy router project.

See if you can find pebble, it's getting old now unless it's been
upgraded. it's small, based on Debian, designed for what you want and
has modest hardware requirements. Even if to old, it can serve as a
how-to for reingineering with newer software. Google for 'seattle
wireless pebble"

A linksys wrt54G is a cheap Linux computer, and fun can be had with
that, replacing its software (there are several alternatives) and
wondering whether you've bricked it yet. Google will help here too.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait