F8: Kernel update = no Wireless

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 22:10:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 02:55:15PM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Ivan Virgili wrote:
> >I have just updated my F8 installation, including the kernel.
> >Unfortunately this made the wireless card stop working.
> >Has anyone experienced the same problem?
> >
> >These are the details:
> >kernel - 2.6.23.9-85
> >networkmanager - 1:0.7.0-0.6.6
> >zd1211-firmware - 1.4-1
> >
> >If I start my computer using the old version of the kernel
> >(2.6.23.8-63) everything works fine.
> >
> >Ivan
> >
>    You put a kernel driver in the old kernel that let's your wireless
> work. Now you need to get a driver for the new kernel. As of now I
> haven't found anything the new kernel does better, so just go back to
> the old kernel for now.

What the heck are you saying?  I see nothing to indicated that he
'put a kernel driver in the old kernel', and why would have needed
to do so?  You are not being helpful.

Ivan, I am not aware of such a problem.  Please open a bug at
bugzilla.redhat.com and provide specific details of the problem you
are experiencing -- something more specific than "stopped working"
if at all possible.  Please also include the output of 'lsusb' and the
contents of /var/log/messages, and make sure to add linville at redhat.com
to the CC (or AssignedTo) list.

Thanks,

John