F8: Kernel update = no Wireless

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 02:14:00 UTC 2007

>     Well it sounds like the kernel people are trying to maintain the
> proper functions for your wireless. I have a big old laptop with F7 on
> it and I had to get the mad-wify driver from a web page not fedora to
> get it to work. It was a pain and I do not upgrade the laptop so it
> keeps working :-)
>
>     The guy who told me I was wrong and wanted you to file a bug report
> must be a kernel expert. You might do that for him. He may need it.
>
> Karl

Telling someone "As of now I haven't found anything the new kernel
does better, so just go back to the old kernel for now." suggests that
you have a respectable degree of knowledge in this area and you've
done some testing/digging into it.  If you don't possess that
knowledge and you did not do that research then you are not qualified
to make that statement.

As for the "kernel expert", the fact that John has a redhat.com email
address and requested that the OP either cc him in the bugzilla report
or put John under AssignedTo is a pretty good indication that yes, the
guy probably knows what he's talking about or at least knowns enough
to provide an educated response to the OP's question.

Not looking to start another bashing session.  But you're on a roll
lately it seems providing uninformed, off the cuff advice that could
potentially cause more grief than relief to an OP.

Don't feel that you have to provide a response to as many postings as
possible.  It's admirable that you want to try and help as many people
as possible, but not realistic.  Stick to the ones that you possess
the required knowledge/experience to provide helpful advice as do many
of us.  It will ensure a much more pleasant exchange with other list
members.

Try it next time.  Before replying ask yourself, "Do I know enough
about this topic to contribute to the discussion in a positive
manner?"  If the answer is anything but a confident yes, don't
respond.

Jacques B.