DHCP even when I set static addresses

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 21 10:56:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 03:04 +0200, Peter Lauri wrote:
> I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still
> dhcp tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has
> something like 169.X.X.X

That's not from DHCP.  169.254.x.y addresses are "link-local" addresses
(automatic self-configuration in the absence of something external
assigning an address).

> Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet,
> but after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network
> address") it goes from 85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X
> that is some internal address I think.

That sounds like carrying on using a prior address for a while, one
previously leased, and it expiring while in use.  You could be
firewalled off from a DHCP server, or not on the same network, or set to
use (despite your wishes) and one periodically connects to your network.

Since you want a static address, go through your list of services, and
stop and turn off automatic network features (NetworkManager*, avahi*),
leave "network" set to run.  Carefully manually configure your network,
examining all the options available to you.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.