mysql issue on Fedora 7

jlwallen at monkeypantz.net jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Fri Dec 21 15:17:50 UTC 2007

I know there is probably a better place to post this but I am at my wits end.

I am running F7 with a website running Drupal and eGroupware. Both of
these rely on MySQL 5.0.45-1.fc7 (obviously). I set up the databases on
phpmyadmin.

yesterday i was attempting to install a booking software and had to run a
Bundle update on CPAN. after I ran that here's what is now happening.

*the only way Drupal and eGroupware can connect to the database is if i
start the database with the "mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables --user=root
&" command.
*when i log into phpmyadmin as the root user i am getting the "No
privileges" error.

now i can run everything by starting the mysqld in the way described above
 but: A) it's not secure and B) i still can't use phpmyadmin to work on or
add databases.

i have tried the following:

shell> mysql -u root
mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('newpwd')
    -> WHERE User='root';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

this does not help (like i thought it would).

if anyone can offer up any guidance to this issue i would greatly
appreciate it.

thank you!

jack