F8 Boot Under VMware Server (Solved)

Gordon Keehn gordonkeehn at netzero.net
Fri Dec 21 19:14:26 UTC 2007

Gordon R. Keehn wrote:
>     I'm running Fedora 8 under VMware Server 1.0.4 on two WinXP Pro
> systems, one an IBM Thinkpad T41, the other a ThinkCentre A60.
> Virtual machine specs are identical.  On one system (the Thinkpad),
> Fedora boots directly (and quickly).  On the desktop system, during
> boot, Fedora seems to be trying to access some hundred or so devices
> from SDA through SDDZ, taking close to 30 minutes to get into the real
> boot process. Both were installed from the DVD .iso downloaded with
> Azureus.
>     Has anyone run into a similar issue, and (hopefully) figured out
> how to get around it.  I'm hopeful it's a configuration file
> somewhere, that can be tweaked manually.
>     Thanks,
> Gordon Keehn

    I lied.  The virtual hard drives for the VM on the Thinkpad emulated
IDE drives;  when defining the VM on the ThinkCentre I took the
"recommendation" and emulated SCSI drives.  We won't go into the fact
that virtual machines running kubuntu on the same two hosts both use
SCSI emulation without a hitch.

Gordon Keehn