Cannot upgrade box to Fedora 8... DVD stalled on vmlinuz... Ready!

Excalibur Xcalibur excalibur.xcalibur at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:21:05 UTC 2007

*Please read below:*

On Dec 21, 2007 1:00 PM, Rick Stevens <rstevens at internap.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 12:31 -0500, Excalibur Xcalibur wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >                I burned the dvd iso of F8, and when I booted the DVD
> > and selected upgrade, it loaded fine and went on to
> >
> > vmlinuz blah blah...
> >
> > then completely stalls or freezes on "Ready". Well it was like that
> > for hours. So I couldn't upgrade my FC6 box with F8. Even when I
> > reboot it, it's still the same story.
>
> We need LOTS more info, Peter.  Computer make/model (or processor type
> and motherboard make/model), video card, type of hard drive (SATA, SCSI,
> IDE), memory size, that sort of thing.  Also make sure the BIOS on the
> machine is the current release (check with the computer or motherboard
> maker's website).

Thanks for the reply Rick. Here's what I can tell you about my system:

Dell DM051 x86

x86 Family 15  Model 4 Stepping 7 Intel 2793 MHz

Intel 82845G chipset

RAM 2 GB
SATA drive
BIOS version Dell Inc A05, 3 /31/2006 (Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS version  1.10A05)

> The most common problems have to do with interrupt routing, DMA
> channels, APMI issues and that sort of thing.  There's lots of work-
> arounds and we need to know what may be appropriate for you.  If you
> could tell us what's displayed when you hit "ALT-F3" and "ALT-F4" when
> it's stalled, that may help as well.

Nothing's displayed at all. I don't have a problem with either the F7 or FC6
boot DVDs! :(

--
Peter "Excalibur"