Need real beginners kernel exploration advice !?

Leonid Podolny leonidp.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 08:50:06 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I think the time has come for me to start exploring the Linux kernel in
> some depth.  I have installed kvm, qemu and git.  It seems to all be
> present and working. I have reviewed the kvm, qemu and git sites about
> how to start using those programs???

William, hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "start exploring the Linux kernel". I
assume that by that you mean "start developing in kernel environment"
and not "compiling Linux kernel" (the latter doesn't require exploring
as such).
You already have kernel binary installed -- /boot/vmlinuz symlink points
to it. As to sources, you should download the source RPM (src.rpm) and
install it, just like regular rpm. Then, do
rpmbuild -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel.spec
and it will put a vanilla kernel in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.23/
vanilla and Fedora kernel in
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.23/linux-2.6.23.x86_64/

Good luck,