Http access to SVN, anyone?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Dec 23 13:04:01 UTC 2007

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>> As I said, I have read it, and there was nothing I found hard to follow.
>> But I get the error "405 Method Not Allowed".

>> Actually, I don't think I have made any changes
>> in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf .
>> The only file I have edited is /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf ,
>> which seemed to contain all the code discussed
>> in the section of the online book above.
>

> Please paste your /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf for inspection

With some comment lines removed:
LoadModule dav_svn_module     modules/mod_dav_svn.so
LoadModule authz_svn_module   modules/mod_authz_svn.so

<Location /repos>
   DAV svn
   SVNParentPath /var/www/svn
#   SVNPath /var/www/svn/Penrose
#
#   # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
#   <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
#      # Require SSL connection for password protection.
#      # SSLRequireSSL
#
#      AuthType Basic
#      AuthName "Subversion Repository"
#      AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file
#      Require valid-user
#   </LimitExcept>
</Location>
I've actually tried with and without the authentication
commented out in the above version.
When trying with authentication I created the file /etc/svn-auth-file
as suggested with

        $ htpasswd -cm /etc/svn-auth-file tim

But whatever I have tried so far has given the dreaded
"405 Method Not Allowed".

Any further elucidation gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366