dual booting fc6, f8

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Dec 23 18:05:11 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> In attempting to come up with a grub.conf which will boot either version of
> the os, I kept running into not being able to boot f8 from anything but a
> fedora kernel.
>
> I have successfully switched the kernel.org 2.6.24-rc6 kernel such that all
> hard drives are now /dev/sd*.
>
> But I figured that would probably need an edit of /boot/grub/device.map, but
> before I did that, I thought I'd run 'grub-install --recheck /dev/sda' sda
> being the new name for the ide0,0 drive, the old /dev/hda.
>
> >From my read of the info page, I assumed it would not write anything, but just
> check what was there for errors.  But it did
> rewrite /dev/hda1/grub/device.map, placing fd0 above the older assignments,
> and appending the new sata drive below as /dev/sdc, and replaced a now
> missing FC2 install on what was /dev/hdb with the /amandatapes drive which
> was formerly /dev/hdd.  There is currently no drive on the middle connector
> of the first ide cable.
>
> Confusing ain't it?
>
> So, thinking that I needed to re-edit my grub.conf to set the f8 drive as
> 'root (hd2,0)', I did so.  But now none of the f8 boot stanzas work, error 15,
> file not found.
>
> So I guess I don't understand how grub works as well as I thought.  The info
> pages might tell me, but it seems the only way to read them is backwards as
> once you've gone down a tree to read something, there seems to be only one
> way to back up, using the backspace key, but you never get back to the main
> menu so its easier to 'q'uit it and restart it, but that screws with ones
> train of thought till not even 2 more cups of coffee makes it make sense.
>
> The other ugly thought is that my bios doesn't see the sata drive (sdc) at
> all, and the couple of times I made it boot to f8, I had to move all the boot
> files to /dev/hda1, but specify /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 in the kernel
> argument line, but that seems to have quit working too.
>
> What is the usual scenario here?
>
> Should I do an hd assignment swap and then chainload to the sata drive?  But,
> if the bios can't see it, I'd have to assume grub cannot either at that stage
> of the boot.
>
> Or should I just resign myself to having to maintain a boot partition on an
> pata drive just so the system can even find its bootstrap files?  The
> achilles heel there is that its only a 99 meg partition.
>
> That would allow me to use that 200 megs for a dos partition, but what good is
> that if the bios can't find it...  Sigh.
>
> My thanks to all that have read this far.

    I am booting both f7 and f8 and it works fine. I loaded f8 to use
the boot partition as the place to put it's setup. Then I added to my f7
grub.conf a title F8 and a chainload ++ to the F8 boot partition.

    This works just fine. If you need more details ask.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User